Commentary competition for schools
WIN a commentary masterclass from legendary Sky Sports commentator Ian Crocker
“And Marshall saves!”
The famous line voiced as Scotland sealed qualification for UEFA EURO 2020 is being rehearsed by pupils across the nation as they prepare to compete for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to win a masterclass in commentary with legendary Sky Sports commentator Ian Crocker.
Since launching our Learning Through Football resources, many pupils in Scotland have been participating in a range of UEFA EURO 2020 based projects which have been designed in line with the Curriculum for Excellence to highlight the value that football can bring off the pitch and into the classroom.
Trying out the art of commentary is one of the activities which has proven to be most popular with the young students who have shown great interest in honing literacy skills by providing their own account of the events which unfolded on that famous night in Belgrade.
As UEFA EURO 2020 draws ever closer, pupils are being encouraged to recreate the magical moment as Aleksandar Mitrović stepped up to take the decisive penalty.
From the Red Star Stadium to playgrounds and gardens across Scotland, students will now have the chance to showcase their skills to the nation through presenting their own commentary of David Marshall’s iconic penalty save by:
- Re-enacting the penalty save whilst providing a commentary of the event or
- Recording an attempt at summarising the penalty save and the moments which followed.
This could be a video recording of your pupils or child with friends re-enacting the drama in the playground or local park and featuring their twist on Ian’s commentary.
Or kids can simply film themselves voicing their own commentary of that special save and the moments that followed. The more fun and creative, the better!
The choice is yours!
In a nationwide competition, pupils will go head-to-head by submitting their entries which will progress to the ‘knockout’ stages.
The final selection will then be made by Ian Crocker who will impart some personal words of wisdom to the winning pupil on their very own commentary masterclass session!
How to enter
Pupils, parents, guardians, teachers and schools can submit entries via Twitter by posting their video clips alongside the hashtag #LearningThroughFootball, whilst tagging their school and @GlasgowEURO2020.
We’ve embedded a video of the penalty save below for inspiration and to remind you of how the final moments unfolded as Scotland secured their place at UEFA EURO 2020!
Entries close at midday on Monday, 10th May 2021.
Terms and conditions
- The competition is open to Scottish residents aged 18 or under, except employees of the Scottish FA, UEFA, their families and anyone else associated with this promotion.
- The closing date is Monday 10th May 2021 at 12 noon.
- The winner will be informed within seven days of the closing date and announced on @GlasgowEURO2020.
- Prize includes: a commentary masterclass from Sky Sports commentator Ian Crocker (in person or via video call, subject to local COVID-19 restrictions), a UEFA EURO 2020 goodie bag.
- There is no limit on the number of entries from schools, clubs, etc but only one entry per person is permitted.
- By entering, you grant permission for your clip to be used by the Scottish FA/UEFA EURO 2020 Glasgow team for promotional purposes.
- This prize has no cash alternative, is non-refundable and non-exchangeable.
- The promoter’s decision is final.
- The promoter reserves the right to replace the prize with one of similar or greater value.
- For any queries on this, contact email@example.com
Download the UEFA EURO 2020 App